Buying My First Shotgun: Gun Buying Tips for Total Noobs

Gun+Nerddom=Success 


It finally came!

I've been contemplating buying a shotgun for a while now. On my past few hunts I've borrowed my friend Stuart's Hatfield 20 gauge (which is a wonderful, cheap starter gun). Against the advice of some of my gun friends, I sold my Mosin Nagant that has sat in my closet for three years. Who knows, in ten years, I'll probably regret it, but I'd rather have something useable than a mantlepiece decoration.

So, what did I get? I can tell you it wasn't a Mossberg 500!

What I got was a H&R Pardner Pump. Essentially, from what I've seen, it's a clone of a Remington 870, with cheaper sourced parts. Was it made in China? Yeah. Will it last sixty years? Maybe, maybe not. That's not really why I bought the gun. This is my first all around firearm and I didn't have much money to work with.

20 Gauge Vs. 12 Gauge

The 12 gauge is by far the most popular and iconic shotgun in America. It's not for no reason either. They are deadly, reliable, simple, and a ton of fun. All that being said, I decided to be a hipster and go with the 20 gauge. My main reason is that it is sufficient if I want to bird hunt in the future, but also light enough to not totally destroy small game like squirrels.

I also like the compact nature of the 20 gauge. The recoil isn't as bad, so my wife can shoot it easier than a 12, and when my daughter gets old enough, she can shoot it as well. It's just a good all around gun.

Tips for the Gun Noob (like me)

So, we all know it's really intimidating walking into a gun shop. There's all this lingo and culture surrounding guns that not everyone grew up with. Generally gun shop owners are willing to initiate the unlearned, but it helps to do some research before going in to buy something. Here are some things I've picked up from people who know a whole lot more about firearms than I do.

1. Condition is king

Honestly, this goes with anything from used cars to used pets...uh, whatever. Look carefully at the gun if you're buying something used. Are there pockmarks on the barrel that indicate rust? Is the stock all scratched and banged up? Feel the action of the gun and whether or not it cycles smoothly. Don't dry fire anyone's gun, however. That's a great way to tick off a shop owner. Feel free to ask about the gun's history, how old it is, ect. You're probably spending a couple hundred bones to get it. It's okay to investigate.

2. Tactical?

Know the purpose of your gun. Right now everyone wants tactical stuff with rails to hold a scope, a flashlight, a ten foot bayonet, an ammo can, and a personal bunker. If you can look past the sleek plastic, I'm gonna hide in a hole from the government style, you might be able to find a really practical, durable weapon that has a more classic, wood stock. Not that a tactical gun is bad, it's just they often have short barrel lengths not suitable for hunting or are lower quality. Granted, if you're going to be hunting in marshes and really abusing your weapon, you might consider a synthetic stock. Just know your purpose in buying the gun. I also don't like tactical guns. There.

3. Steel Shot + Old Shotguns = No Shotgun

What I didn't realize until the last minute was that steel shot can ruin the barrels of older shotguns. This is especially true of shotguns with full chokes. Basically, until 1989 when steel shot was mandated by a lot of conservation departments (via the EPA), the steel used for shotgun barrels was often softer than the steel used to make bbs. The end result was that many older shotguns will crack at the end of their barrels over time when shot with steel rounds. For anyone hunting on public land, this makes an older shotgun practically worthless. The only alternative to steel right now are some odd materials like bismuth, which can cost $2-$3 a shell!

You can have your shotgun tested for steel shot, but as a gun buyer, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go through that trouble when there are so many reliable and affordable new guns on the market.

Cheapest Shotguns For the First Time Shooter

1. Hatfield 20 gauge
credit:Hatfield Gun Company

You can pick these up at Wal-Mart for like $120. They are a break open and com win either .410 or the aforementioned 20 gauge. I've actually gone on a number of hunts with this gun and I can tell you that it's a lot of fun. The only real downsides are that it doesn't eject the shells (you have to pull them out), the break release is kinda funky, the safety is also weird, and it's obviously not made from the highest quality parts. That being said, it's super fun to shoot, it seems to be reliable, and it gets the job done.

2. Yildiz Single Shot .410 or 20 gauge

credit: John Capps Youtube Channel
I almost bought this gun. They are made in Turkey and boy, they are seriously sexy. They have a long, slender barrel (I think a 24") with really nice walnut stocks. They just feel good in the hand. I've read lots of forums that highly praise these guns. They retail for around $120 as well, but I think they are a bit more user friendly than the Hatfield.

3. Mossberg Maverick 88 24" Barrel

credit: cheaperthandirt.com
It's a Mossberg. Essentially, they simplified the 500 and you have less ability to interchange parts. What you get in exchange for those compromises is a very reliable, pretty rugged firearm. There are loads of people who swear by Mossberg. This one is a bit tainted for me, however, because it falls into the tactical, security camp. It's most commonly seen in the squint-your-eyes-ugly synthetic black and usually has a short barrel as well. It's not likely you'll be winging any birds with this gun. Then again, I don't think it's aimed at that audience. If you plan on buying this for hunting, make sure you get the longer barrel length... $180-$200 retail.

4. H&R Pardner Pump 1871

credit: H&R Firearms 
This is the gun that I ultimately went with. They also have been tainted with the curse of the synthetic stock, but you can still get ahold of the walnut stock version. They come standard with metal receivers (the Mossbergs have a plastic one that can break easier if you are clumsy and drop it), set up for a scope if you want to hunt deer with slugs, and they come in 20 and 12 gauge. Basically, they're a  knock-off Remington 870 (they're owned by the same company). They're nice to handle, though perhaps a bit heavy, and seem to be made a decent materials. You can get them anywhere between $180-$225. For a hunting style pump shotgun, that's hard to beat.



Comments

Popular Posts