Baby Hadassah's First Fishing Trip! Plus start of Dandelion Salve Project

Ladies and Gentle-nerds...

We are proud to present the newest member of Nerdventure blog, Hadassah Ainsley Randolph!! Yes, she is the cutest.

As she is being inaugurated into the official position of First-Baby to your Nerdship (me) and Nerdina (Laura), she is in need of a nickname. I've put a poll on my Facebook page and next blog I will announce her moniker.

My new favorite hobby
We went to a favorite lake of mine and fished in the back of a cove. It's been pretty rainy, so the creek channel is dirty as chocolate milk and I haven't had much luck there the past few times I've been out. Our spot was closer to the main lake and had a sandy/rocky bottom. It's an area that in the summer will have lots of weed growth close to shore, so it's a haven for panfish.

I caught two white bass, both on a silver/white rooster tail. We were going to meet some friends afterwards, so I gutted them and cut out their gills. As we didn't have a cooler, I bought a bag of ice from a gas station, but a hole in it, and kept them in there for a few hours. It works great in a pinch.

A project that Laura and I are currently working on is a dandelion salve! Basically, it's gonna be hippy-tastic lip balm. We started with collecting dandelions from the park (because we're pretty sure they don't use pesticides there. We needed about two cups of them, so while I fished and held Hadassah, Laura tip-toed through the, eh, well, dandelions...whatever.

In case you didn't know what a dandelion was.... lol
We also bought a bottle of grape-seed oil to act as the main body of the balm for six bucks at Burlington. The next step is drying the flowers, getting ahold of some vitamin E oil (to preserve the oil longer), and begin the actual production. We'll have an in depth look at that project once it's finished.

Plans for the future...Laura and I are hoping to work together more on the blog this summer and bring content on a more weekly basis. SO, that hopefully means that we can do some interactive stuff with you, our readers. I think if we do an event, we'll start with a crawdad hunt and boil/bbq. We may even start adding short video clips to accompany some of the blogs.

Stay tuned for more exciting stuff! Check out the recipes page because I've added a Buffalo marinated fried fish recipe.

We've got tons of fun ideas coming up, including a bone-spear fishing project (inspired by the Wooded Beardsman). Make sure you subscribe to our email updates! As always, stay nerdy.




White Bass aaahhhh yeah! 
 

Comments

Popular Posts